Thursday, August 25, 2016

Storybook Favorites

The three storybooks I read this week really caught my interest. Although they varied completely in genre and origin each one caught my attention and held it.
The first storybook I chose to read was History Mysteries. Personally I didn't care for the introduction very much but the three stories that followed were awesome. The story about Stonehenge had me thinking about plush green hills and giants right before me and I could see the child giant, Daniel, stacking the stones like blocks. The next three stories kept me enraptured and even used a character from the Narnia series which was a favorite of my mother’s when she was a child.
            The second storybook I found was The Darling Tales of Wendy. Instead of separate stories each chapter was an installment of letters between Wendy and Michael Darling. Both are adults and gave hypothetical answers to what would happen after the Darling children grow up. This storybook was awesome and the title made me giggle to myself for a solid two minutes. I’ve always been a Peter Pan fan and its dark undertones. Disney sometimes makes movies a little too happy.
            The third and final story book was Demigod Daycare. Now the writing style in this storybook was good but the overall story concept seemed a bit too similar to books like Percy Jackson. This theme of Demigods and their parents being in contact with each other is overplayed and not thought out very well due to the fact that in mythology the gods cared very little for their children. It was only when they reached adult hood and was able to bring the gods name to glory that the gods ever showed interest. Due to these facts this storybook wasn’t very thought out to me.

            All three story books had their pros and cons but for the most part I enjoyed the first two books and found a bit of enjoyment in the third but was distracted by similarities. Being able to see some of the projects of others before us has given me a good idea of how to complete our future project. 

(When you wait till one in the morning to do your homework because you have so much to do)


No comments:

Post a Comment